You won’t believe your taste buds with this vegan mac and cheese recipe. The cheese sauce thickens up like magic to create a ridiculously flavorful, gooey, and oozing cheese that will have people questioning whether it’s dairy.
Perfect as a side with almost anything, this vegan mac n cheese recipe takes 15 minutes to prepare, and up to 45 minutes to cook.
Check out the video above to see how it is done, or read through the ingredients and step-by-step instructions below.
CHECK OUT: Easy CrockPot Dinners to Break the Recipe Rut
Ingredients (Serves 6-8)
- 1 pound of Pasta (Macaroni or your favorite shape)
- ⅔ cup of Raw Cashews
- ½ of a Yellow Onion
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- Juice of ½ a Lemon
- ¼ cup of Nutritional Yeast
- 4 tbsp of Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp of Tomato Paste (for color)
- 4 shakes of Turmeric (for color)
- 2 tsps of Salt
- 2 ½ cups of Water
- Chives for garnish (Optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. This normally includes boiling in water until soft, but with a bite.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain the water and set it aside.
- In a high-powered blender add all ingredients, except for the cooked pasta, and blend on high until you have a liquid with no remaining chunks.
- Pour the mixture into a pot. Then cook over a medium-low heat. Allow to simmer while stirring consistently.
- Using a whisk, thicken the mixture until peaks begin to form when you pull the whisk out of the sauce. Important: The cheese sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Pour the vegan cheese sauce over the cooked pasta and mix gently, until the sauce coats the pasta.
- For a more flavorful mac & cheese, serve immediately, sprinkled with chopped chives.
- If you prefer a more mild flavor, bake the mac & cheese in the oven at 350 degrees until the top is golden, and then serve.
Consider mixing this vegan Mac and Cheese recipe up with chopped broccoli, diced jalapeño, spinach, or any other favorite veggies. Or sprinkle breadcrumbs on top for that little extra bite.
Tell us what you think of this Vegan Mac and Cheese Recipe on Facebook now.
Categorized: Food & Drink Recipes