Mini Chocolate Pudding Pie
This chocolate pudding pie recipe most certainly won’t win any awards for being complicated or fancy- but it’s one of my fondest memories of cooking with my grandmother growing up. I remember hot summer days and this pudding pie- which I’m pretty sure came from Betty Crocker or Southern Living. My only spin on it is that I had to purchase (yes, had to) these mini graham crusts at the grocery store.. but you can also place the filling into a larger graham crust.
I thought a chocolate pudding pie would be a perfect way to end retro week- simple, cool, chocolatey, topped with whipped cream.. and it doesn’t involve turning on the oven during a hot day. It reminds me of summer evenings spent on the porch swing watching the sun go down over the blueberry patch, plate of pie in hand.
Chocolate Pudding Pie – Ingredients
- 1 package of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup of cold milk
- 2 squares of semi sweet chocolate, melted (I use Bakers)
- 1 8oz package of Cool Whip
- 1 graham cracker crust or 6 mini crusts
Chocolate Pudding Pie – Instructions
- Using a mixer, mix together chocolate pudding mix and milk
- Blend in the melted chocolate at a low speed
- Slowly fold in the Cool Whip
- Spoon into pie crust (or crusts)
- Refrigerate your chocolate pudding pie for several hours allowing the pudding to set slightly
- 15 minutes before serving place in the freezer, this allows it to freeze a bit and makes the pie easier to cut
- Top with additional Cool Whip
The South is pie, after all..
Happy Friday everyone.. let’s hope some summer weather graces us soon.
Kris Drewry is a freelance host on several nationally broadcast networks. Her first book, Breakup Positive, was published in February 2018.