Soup is big in our household, whether as a starter, a quick fix when hungry, or when feeling ill. However, the one soup we’ve never been able to make as good as shop-bought is tomato soup… Until now.
Also Read: 10 Foods You Have To Try From Around The World
The word rustic is perfect for this Homemade Tomato Soup recipe. When made exactly, it has all the hallmarks of a meal made with love.
(Try it with crusty bread, it is amazing).
And who would have thought that carrots go into tomato soup? Don’t believe us, watch the short recipe video and get cooking with the ingredients and steps below:
- 2 Carrots (Finely chopped or grated)
- 1 Yellow Onion (Finely chopped or grated)
- 1 tbsp. of All Purpose Flour
- 30 oz of Chicken Broth
- 28 oz of Tomato Paste
- Salt (To taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp. of Chives (Loosely chopped)
- 1 tbsp. of Cream
Also Read: 6 Tips For How To Waste Less Food And Save Money
- In a pan over medium heat, add cooking oil and saute the chopped carrots and onions.
- Add the flour, making sure to use a sieve (otherwise the flour will clump).
- Cook the carrots and onions for 5-10 minutes, combining the flour with the carrots and onions.
- With the pan still over medium heat, and after the carrots and onions are soft, add the tomato paste and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Let the soup simmer for 25 minutes on medium heat. Stirring occasionally.
- Once the soup thickens to a consistency you like, serve it in a bowl, topped with chives and a splash of cream.
Tell us what you think of this Homemade Tomato Soup recipe on Facebook.