A fresh and delicious vegan Chinese Chickpea Salad—a plant-based spin on the Asian-inspired dish found on many restaurant menus. Instead of chicken, we’re using the beloved protein-packed chickpea.
This dip can be prepared in just 15 minutes. Check out the video above to see how it is done, or read through the ingredients and step-by-step instructions below.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 3 cups of Shredded Napa Cabbage
- 1 cup of Thinly Sliced Purple Cabbage
- 1 cup of Shredded Carrots
- 1 can of Chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 3 Green Onions (white and green parts sliced into thin rounds)
- 1 cup of Fresh Cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup of Mandarin Oranges in juice (juice drained)
- ⅓ cup of Slivered Almonds (toasted)
- 1 tsp of Black Sesame Seeds (optional)
- ⅓ cup of Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup of Granulated Sugar
- 3 tbsps of Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 tbsps of Rice Vinegar
- ½ tsp of Ground Ginger
- ½ tsp of Garlic Powder
- In a large serving bowl, add the Napa cabbage, purple cabbage, carrots, chickpeas, green onions, and cilantro, and mix well.
- In a small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk together vigorously until fully combined.
- Drizzle dressing evenly across the salad, and mix well.
- Top with mandarin oranges, toasted almond slivers, and black sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!
This salad is best enjoyed fresh since the purple cabbage will turn the chickpeas purple over time. If you’d like to prep it in advance, keep the dressing separate from the salad until you’re ready to eat it.
Tell us what you think of this Chinese Chickpea Salad recipe on Facebook now.