Warning: This is not a vegetarian bolognese.
This Veggie Packed Bolognese recipe focuses on hiding vegetables in a family favorite recipe:
This is perfect for fussy eaters who are unwilling to eat their five a day and is packed with mushrooms, butternut squash, onions, celery, carrots, and more.
Watch the video recipe above to see how simple it is to make this Veggie Packed Bolognese:
All ingredients and steps are included below.
- 1 tbsp. of Cooking Oil
- 1 1/2 cup of Onion (Finely chopped)
- 2/3 cup of Celery (Finely chopped)
- 3/4 cup of Carrot (Finely chopped)
- 8 oz. of Cremini Mushrooms (Finely chopped)
- 6 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 6 oz. of Lean Ground Sirloin (Minced)
- 3 tbsps. of Tomato Paste
- 1/2 oz. of Porcini Mushrooms (Clean and remove stems)
- 2/3 cup of Boiling Water
- 1/4 tsp. of Crushed Red Pepper
- 3/4 tsp. of Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. of Dried Oregano
- 16 oz. of Tomato Sauce
- 12 oz. of Butternut Squash (Spiralized)
- Pasta Noodles (Enough for 4 portions)
- Walnuts (Toasted and to taste)
- Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese (To taste)
- In a bowl add the porcini mushrooms and boiling water. Let these rest for 15 minutes.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add the cooking oil.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot, cremini mushrooms, minced garlic cloves to the pan and let them cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Next add the sirloin and tomato paste and mix. Let the ground sirloin cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Take the porcini mushrooms (step 1) out of the bowl (after 15 minutes) and add them to the pan.
- Add the red pepper, kosher salt, oregano, and tomato sauce to the pan.
- Reduce heat so the tomato sauce can simmer and add the water from the porcini mushrooms (step 1).
- Mix well, and let it simmer for 12 minutes, uncovered.
- Take a butternut squash and using a spiralizer make noodle-like strips (skip this step if you don’t have a spiralizer).
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the pasta noodles and a pinch of salt.
- Add the butternut squash noodles to the saucepan and cook with your pasta noodles for the final 2 minutes (or until softened).
- Drain the noodles and add to a plate, adding a portion of the bolognese.
- Top the bolognese with toasted walnuts and shards of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Serve while hot.
Tell us what you think of this Bolognese recipe on Facebook.