How does a Vegan Sushi Bowl with marinated tofu, fresh vegetables, rice, seaweed, and quick pickled carrots sound? Delicious right! Well, you can have all that freshness, crunch, and flavor by following this versatile recipe.
This Vegan Sushi Bowl recipe can be prepared in 30 minutes and cooked in 45. Check out the video above to see how it is done, or read through the ingredients and step-by-step instructions below.
Also Read: 13 Delectable Gift Ideas for Foodies
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 cup Dry Sushi Rice (or substitute short-grain white or brown rice and increase water)
- 1 ¼ cups of Water
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Tamari (Or soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 3 tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Ginger
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup (optional)
- 14-ounce package of Extra Firm Tofu (Cut into 2 x 1/4-inch slices)
- 1/2 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 cup of Water
- 1 tbsp Ginger (Grated)
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup (Optional)
- 1 cup Thinly Sliced Carrots (Using a knife or mandolin)
- 1 cup of Cucumber (Cut into 3-inch matchsticks)
- 1 large Avocado (Thinly sliced)
- 1 small package Seaweed Snack Chips or Nori Sheets (Crumbled into a seaweed)
- 2 tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds (optional)
- 1/4 cup of Thinly Sliced Green Onions (optional)
- 1 cup Microgreens or Sprouts (Optional)
- Pickled Ginger (Optional)
- Wasabi (Optional)
- Rinse rice with cold water in a fine mesh strainer until water runs clear.
- Drain and transfer to a small saucepan.
- Add water and rice vinegar.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until water is evaporated and rice is tender (20 minutes).
- Turn off the heat and let the rice steam with the lid on for 10 minutes.
- While the rice cooks, make the tofu marinade.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tamari, sesame oil, rice vinegar, grated ginger, and maple syrup (optional).
- Set aside 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the marinade for serving with finished bowls.
- Add the tofu to the remaining marinade and gently mix to combine and coat the tofu.
- Allow marinating for at least 20 minutes, mixing every once in a while to ensure the tofu is marinating evenly.
- Combine rice vinegar, water, ginger, and maple syrup (optional) in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. This will be a brine to quick pickle your carrots.
- Place carrots into a medium-sized heat-proof bowl or jar and pour the simmering brine over the carrots.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to cool while you proceed.
Cooking The Tofu:
- Heat a large non-stick skillet or well-seasoned cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, remove the tofu from the marinade and place it on the hot pan.
- Cook the tofu for 2-3 minutes on each side, until crispy and golden brown.
- Divide the rice between bowls and top with the pickled carrots, cucumbers, avocado, cooked tofu, seaweed sprinkles, and the marinade you set aside.
- Optional: Garnish with sesame seeds, green onion, microgreens, pickled ginger, and/or wasabi. Best enjoyed at room temperature.
Leftovers can be kept and stored separately in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. The ingredients are not freezer friendly.
- Calories: 396
- Carbohydrates: 54.8g
- Protein: 19.4g
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated Fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 2068mg
- Potassium: 601mg
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Sugar: 4g
- Vitamin A: 6633 IU
- Vitamin C: 7mg
- Calcium: 354mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
Tell us what you think of this Vegan Sushi Bowl Recipe on Facebook now.