I know, green beans aren’t for everyone. But I personally love them—especially in green bean casseroles. In my eyes, the ultimate vegan green bean casserole strikes a balance between soft and crisp, with a nice amount of creamy filling.
This recipe takes 25 minutes to prep. and 30 minutes to cook. Check out the video above to see how it is done, or read through the ingredients and step-by-step instructions below.
CHECK OUT: 6 Things to Know About Plant-Based Meat
- 2 pounds of Fresh Green Beans
- 3 cups of Vegetable Broth (or equivalent amount of Vegetable Bouillon and Water, divided)
- ½ cup of Raw Cashews
- ¼ tsp of Salt
- ½ tsp of Ground Black Pepper
- ½ cup of Vegan Butter
- 1 small Onion (Diced)
- 2 cups of Button Mushrooms (Sliced or Diced)
- 4 medium Garlic Cloves (Roughly Chopped)
- ½ cup of All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups of Crispy Fried Onions (we used Store-Bought)
- To prepare the green beans, wash them, trim the stem ends, and cut them in half.
- Then place them in a steamer basket, and steam for 7 minutes.
- Remove the green beans from the steamer, rinse them with ice-cold water to preserve the green color, and set them aside.
- In a high-powered blender, combine 1 cup of the vegetable broth and the cashews and blend on high until smooth.
- Blend in the remaining 2 cups of vegetable broth, salt, and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large pot, over medium high heat, melt the vegan butter.
- Add the onion, mushrooms, and garlic and sauté in the butter for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour and whisk to create a roux. Continue to whisk the thickened roux constantly for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth and cashew mixture and whisk continuously for 2 to 3 minutes, until thickened (thickening will happen fast and suddenly, so be sure to turn off the heat just as the mixture gets thick enough).
- Spoon the green beans and the creamy mixture into a baking dish and mix until well combined.
- Top with an even layer of fried onions and bake for 20-30 minutes.
Tell us what you think of this Vegan Green Bean Casserole Recipe on Facebook now.
Categorized: Food & Drink Recipes