Whether you are having it for breakfast, brunch, or a sweet after lunch, this Vegan French Toast recipe is quick and easy to make. And it packs all the flavor you’d expect from such a rich dish.
This recipe takes 5 minutes to prep and 5 minutes to cook. Check out the video above to see how it is done, or read through the ingredients and step-by-step instructions below.
CHECK OUT: 13 Delectable Gift Ideas for Foodies
Ingredients (Serves 2)
French Toast Batter
- 3 tbsp of Cornstarch (the cornstarch helps the batter crisp up)
- 1/2 cup Almond Milk (you could use oat or coconut milk)
- 2 tsp Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 tsp Black Salt (adds an eggy taste, but can be substituted for Sea Salt)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of Mashed Ripe Banana (adds a custard-like texture, but this is optional)
- 1 dash Ground Turmeric (for color, again, this is optional)
- 2 large pieces of sturdy day-old Bread (we recommend sourdough)
- 2 tsp of Vegan Butter
For Serving (optional)
- Nut butter or Vegan Butter
- Fruit of Choice (Sliced Bananas, Fresh Berries, or Compote)
- Maple Syrup
- Organic Powdered Sugar
- Coconut Whipped Cream
Making The Batter
- To a shallow bowl or baking dish add cornstarch, then slowly add in dairy-free milk while whisking.
- Whisk fully to ensure there are no clumps.
- Then add maple syrup, vanilla extract, black salt (or sea salt), cinnamon, ripe mashed banana (adds custardy texture and subtle sweetness — leave out if you dislike banana), and turmeric (optional — for color).
- Whisk again to combine.
Cooking The Frech Toast
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add your bread slices to the batter and soak on each side for 15-20 seconds. They shouldn’t be super soggy, but they should be well coated. Option to dust each side with a bit more cinnamon.
- Add a bit of vegan butter to the hot skillet and as many pieces of French toast as will fit comfortably.
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until the underside is golden brown. Then flip with a fork or spatula and cook for 2 minutes more, or until both sides are golden brown and caramelized.
- Repeat as needed until all French toast is prepared.
Serve with vegan butter or nut butter, fresh fruit, and maple syrup. You could also sprinkle with organic powdered sugar or add coconut whipped cream for a more decadent touch.
- Calories: 226
- Carbohydrates: 38.8g
- Protein: 4.9g
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 0.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 430mg
- Potassium: 110mg
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sugar: 4.9g
- Vitamin A: 1.9IU
- Vitamin C: 0mg
- Calcium: 146mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
Tell us what you think of this amazing Vegan French Toast Recipe on Facebook now.