Whether you call them yams or sweet potatoes, it doesn’t matter, these orange-looking vegetables are incredibly versatile and make perfect sides. And this Southwest Yams Hash recipe is the perfect example of what can be done.
Also Read: 10 Foods You Have To Try From Around The World
What is the difference between a Yam and a Sweet Potato?
In the U.S., yams are sweet potatoes. Yet, internationally, they are two different root vegetables. Yams have bumpy tough brown skin which resembles tree bark that natively comes from Asia or Africa. Whereas sweet potatoes have reddish-brown skin and are grown everywhere. Both can be sweet in taste, but sweet potatoes are the more nutritious of the two.
IMPORTANT: The recipe says yams, but the video reads sweet potatoes. Please know, for this recipe, they are the same vegetable.
- 2 1/2 lbs Yams (Scrubbed and Cubed)
- 2 tbsps Smoke Paprika
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Small Red Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (Seeded and Minced)
- 1/4 Cup Green Onions (Thinly Sliced)
- 1.4 Cup Fresh Cilantro (Chopped)
- Juice from 1 Lime Wedge
Also Read: 12 Surprisingly Sugary Foods And Drinks
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
- On a baking tray add the cubed yams and cover in the paprika and black pepper.
- Mix the ingredients until the yams are well coated.
- Spread the yams out across the baking tray into an even single layer.
- Add a splash of water to the baking tray.
- Roast the yams in the oven for 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until tender and golden brown.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add the red & yellow bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until soft. Add water when needed and don’t let the vegetables get too brown.
- From the oven, add your roasted yams to the skillet and mix.
- Add the green onions, fresh cilantro, and squeeze one lime wedge into the mix.
- Continue to mix and serve (squeezing extra lime to taste).
Let us know if you make this Southwest Yams Hash recipe on Facebook.