Southern-Style Bacon Fried Cabbage is a delicious and super easy side dish to make with only a few ingredients. It is flavorful and ready in less than 30 minutes. This recipe takes 5 minutes to prepare and 25 minutes to cook.
Check out the video above to see how it is done, or read through the ingredients and step-by-step instructions below.
Also Read: 12 Surprisingly Sugary Foods And Drinks
Ingredients (6 Servings)
- 1 pound of Sliced Bacon (Chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 Onion (Finely sliced)
- 1 medium Head Cabbage (Cored and chopped)
- 1 tsp of Kosher Salt (To taste)
- 1/4 tsp of Ground Black Pepper (To taste)
- 1 tsp of Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 5 cloves of Garlic (Minced)
- 1 Green Onion (Chopped)
- Place a large cast iron skillet or non-stick deep pan over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon pieces in one layer and cook until crispy.
- If needed, cook in batches. Once cooked, remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Discard the grease, leaving about 2-3 tablespoons in the skillet or pan.
- Add the sliced onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until soft.
- Add the chopped cabbage, salt, pepper, oregano, and smoked paprika. Toss and cook until tender, but still a little crispy, for about 15 minutes.
- Toss and taste, if needed reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan and cook cabbage for 10 more minutes, until the preferred tenderness is achieved.
- Add the garlic and bacon, and cook cabbage for additional 3-4 minutes.
- Serve immediately, and garnish with chopped green onions if desired.
Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 369
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Sodium: 916mg
- Potassium: 433mg
- Carbohydrates: 11g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 5g
- Protein: 11g
- Vitamin A: 175IU
- Vitamin C: 56.8mg
- Calcium: 74mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
Tell us what you think of this Southern-Style Bacon Fried Cabbage Recipe on Facebook now.