Cleaning a microwave oven can be a time-consuming fiddly grind. But it doesn’t have to be. With these three microwave cleaning hacks, you’ll have a spotless appliance and time on your hands.
IMPORTANT: Everything included in this list of microwave cleaning hacks is safe. Only requiring household items, in the right measurements, each of which is easily made and accessible.
These hacks can work as a step-by-step process for a thorough deep clean or on their own for quick solutions.
#1. Baking Soda: The microwave cleaning hack without lemon
Sometimes lemon and vinegar won’t shift baked-on spillages. When that happens, you’ve got to turn to something stronger:
The method is simple and easy, but with anything baked-on, a little elbow grease is a requirement.
- In a small bowl add 1 cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of warm water.
- Mix until it is a paste.
- Once mixed, apply the paste to hardened food and deep stains in the microwave.
- Close the door and leave it for ten minutes, or until the paste stiffens. The longer you leave it, the deeper the clean.
- Once set, use a wet sponge and remove the paste, grease, and dried spillages. It should be loose, but a little elbow grease might be needed.
- After the mixture is fully removed, give the inside of the microwave a wipe or complete hack #2.
#2. The Lemon Microwave Cleaning Hack
This super-quick, lemon-fresh steam is the best hack for cleaning a microwave easily.
Best of all, it’s also a chemical-free microwave cleaning hack.
Here’s a step-by-step guide, from ingredients to wipe-easy cleaning:
- Get 1 lemon, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, and 1 cup of water.
- In a microwaveable bowl add the water, vinegar, and squeeze the lemon.
- Put the bowl into your microwave and for three minutes boil the water on full power.
- This step is important: Leave the door shut for at least five more minutes so the steam can do its job.
- Open the door and check the inside surfaces for wetness. If wet move on to step six. If not, return to step two and increase microwave time from three minutes to five.
- Remove the turntable and wheels from the base of the microwave and place them in your sink.
- Then with a dry cloth, clean away the condensation from the surfaces inside the microwave.
- Return to the turntable and wheels to also clean with a cloth or sponge.
- Once everything is dry, place the wheels and turntable back in the microwave to complete the process.
There are variations on the above method:
Some will soak a sponge in a lemon-vinegar mixture before microwaving. Others will nuke a wet towel.
The hack remains the same. Steaming gets it clean every time.
Once you’ve done hacks #1 and #2, keep your microwave clean with the following hack
#3. The Paper Towel Finish
Who wants to keep squeezing lemons or creating baking soda pastes?
Definitely not us.
So, instead of having to repeat hacks #1 and #2 infinitely to get that perfect lemon-fresh clean, you can use this super-simple microwave cleaning hack to maintain your appliance’s sparkle:
- First up, grab a bunch of kitchen paper towels.
- Then soak them in water thoroughly before placing them on the turntable in the microwave.
- Nuke them on high power for five minutes.
- Wait five minutes more before opening the door, and then use the paper towels to wipe down the steamed surfaces, turntable, and wheels.
This quick water-only steam is perfect to keep things clean without the need for any additional ingredients.
Let us know your microwave cleaning hacks or any other appliance hacks on Facebook.