Fries without the potato? Enter polenta! Made from corn grits, these polenta fries offer a dynamic flavor for filling your belly and make a great addition to your veggie burger night.
This vegan polenta fries recipe can be prepared in 5 minutes and cooked in 30-minutes. Check out the video above to see how it is done, or read through the ingredients and step-by-step instructions below.
Also Read: 13 Delectable Gift Ideas for Foodies
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Olive Oil (for brushing)
- 3 ¼ cups of Cold Water
- 1 cup of Dry Polenta Grits (aka corn grits, not quick-cooking, should be a dry gritty texture, not a fine flour)
- 1 tsp of Sage (chopped)
- 1 tsp of Rosemary (chopped)
- ½ cup of Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- 2 tbsps of Vegan Butter
- ¾ tsp of Salt
- Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish.
- Combine water, polenta, herbs, and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to boil over medium heat while stirring.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, continuously stirring for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vegan cheese and butter.
- Pour hot polenta mixture into your greased baking dish and spread evenly, flattening it into the dish using a spatula.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler.
- Pop the chilled polenta onto a cutting board and cut it into 4-inch long french fry-shaped spears.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and brush with olive oil.
- Broil about 4 inches from heat until golden—about 15 minutes.
- Watch it like a hawk and pull your polenta fries out the moment they start to brown.
- Serve while hot, with a sauce of your choice.
Tell us what you think of this vegan polenta fries recipe on Facebook now.