You’re probably thinking the same we did, “what the heck is this recipe?”
And despite the fact many of us are still coming to terms with pineapple on pizza, this Grilled Watermelon Pizza recipe flips the sweet-savory script. Notching it up to a 10 for uniqueness.
The big question is how does it taste? In our honestly reluctant testing of the dish, we found those who like watermelon LOVED it.
Don’t believe us? Watch the short recipe video above and get cooking with the ingredients and steps below:
- 1 cup of Red Onion (Thinly sliced)
- 3 tbsps. of Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsps. of Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. of Salt
- 1 Watermelon (Cut into large round slices)
- 2 tsps. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup of Creamy Blue Cheese (Crumbled)
- 2 tbsps. of Pecans (Roughly chopped)
- 2 tbsps. Basil Leaves (Small, or loosely chopped)
- Add sliced onions, red wine vinegar, sugar, and salt to a bowl. Stir gently.
- Leave the bowl to stand for 15 minutes as the liquid soaks up the flavors.
- Slice a whole watermelon into round pizza base-style segments.
- Strain and keep the liquid from the bowl in step #2 above.
- In a clean bowl add 2 tsp. of the drained liquid, the extra virgin olive oil, and mix thoroughly.
- On both sides of a slice of watermelon brush the mix made in step #5.
- Grill each slice of melon for 3-4 minutes each side over medium-high heat,
- Remove the watermelon from the grill and build your pizza with the onion from step #2, crumbled creamy blue cheese, chopped pecans, and basil leaves.
- Slice the grilled watermelon pizza into slices and serve.
Tell us what you think of this Grilled Watermelon Pizza recipe on Facebook.