Every fall there’s a surplus of pumpkin and no one knows what to do with it. Many households forget that pumpkin and butternut squash has a lot of crossover recipes. And this means you can deliver the same earthy flavors with a pumpkin.
The simplest recipe to prove this is our delicious creamy pumpkin soup recipe. Just remember, don’t tell anyone you’re making it. Serve it up in secret, with the greens and sour cream, as shown in the video. Then sit back and listen to the compliments you get before revealing its pumpkin.
No one likes cleaning out a pumpkin for Halloween, so the idea of something as delicious as this creamy pumpkin soup coming from such a vegetable is often hard for people to get their heads around.
Don’t believe us, watch the short recipe video above and try it for yourself:
- 2 and 1/2 cups of Carrots (Peeled and chopped)
- 3 tbsps. of Olive Oil
- 1 medium Onion (Peeled and finely chopped)
- 6 cups of Pumpkin (Chunks)
- 1 Garlic Clove (Peeled and finely sliced)
- Salt and Black Pepper (To taste)
- 1 tsp. of Nutmeg (Grated)
- 2-4 tbsps. of Fresh Ginger (Peeled and cut)
- 1/2 cup of Cream
- 1-2 tbsps. of Fresh Greens (Garnish)
- 2 tbsps. of Sour Cream (Garnish)
- Pour 1 tbsp of olive oil into a pan, and saute the carrots for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions to the pan, and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes with the carrots.
- When needed add more olive oil to the pan.
- Add the chopped pumpkin to the pan with the carrots and onions, and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add the garlic and mix.
- Continue to cook for 5-7 minutes until all vegetables are tender.
- Cover the pan and let it cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a large saucepan, adding 4 cups of boiling water (keep over medium heat)
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add nutmeg and fresh ginger to the saucepan.
- Using a hand blender, puree the soup in the saucepan.
- Add the cream and stir
- Serve while hot, topping with fresh greens and sour cream.
Tell us what you think of this Creamy Pumpkin Soup recipe on Facebook.