Fresh veggies and succulent chicken tied together with rich Asian flavors. Are you hungry yet?
If you’re curious about what a Bao is, it’s a slightly sweet dumpling, and the perfect way to package the delicious chicken filling you’ll cook in this recipe.
Disclaimer: This Chicken Bao recipe uses shop bought bao’s for convenience.
Check out the Chicken Bao recipe in the short video above. Ingredients and steps are included below.
Check Out: 5 Simple Steps to a Healthier Family
- 1 tbsps. Cooking Oil
- 1 tbsp. of Garlic (Finely chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp. of Ginger (Finely chopped)
- 1-2 Fresh Red Chilies (Finely chopped)
- 2 tbsps. Spring Onions (Chopped)
- 150 gms Chicken (Boneless and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsps. of Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsps. of Oyster Sauce
- 1 tbsp of Honey
- 7 Baos (Shop bought)
- 1/4 cup of Cabbage (Shredded)
- 1/4 cup of Carrots (Strips)
- 1/4 cup of Cucumber (Sliced and halved)
- 2 tbsps of Coriander Sprigs
Remember, the less chilies you use, the less spicy it will be. So customize to your taste.
- Over medium heat, add cooking oil, garlic, ginger, and red chilies to a pan. Let them cook down for 3 minutes.
- Add the spring onions to the pan and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and season to taste (salt and black pepper).
- Mix the ingredients, adding the dark soy sauce and oyster sauce as you mix.
- Mix and make sure the chicken is well coated.
- Adding 1 tbsp. of water at a time, mix to loosen the sauce, while the chicken cooks.
- When the chicken is cooked, add honey and again mix.
- Cook for 1 more minute and remove from the heat.
- Slice the baos as if cutting a hot dog bun.
- Add your chicken filling, cabbage, carrots, cucumber and coriander to the bao.
- Serve while hot.
Tell us what you think of this Chicken Bao recipe on Facebook.