Winter is a hard time to stay fit. New Year’s resolutions can only last long until they are forgotten. Not only is it cold out and gets dark early, but we are wearing layers of clothing. The summer is creeping up on us slowly but we need to be prepared. If this is something that stresses you out every year, then something needs to change.
Maintaining your weight all year round is a healthy choice that can help benefit our bodies. When it gets cold out and dark out early, it makes it difficult for many people to find the motivation to get out and exercise. Following a few, quick and easy tips can help you to start the journey to maintaining your weight all year round.
- Go Walking: Walking is an incredibly healthy habit to pick up. Yes, it is winter and yes, it is cold out, but there are tons of other places you can go walking, and realistically, not every winter day is cold! Getting outside for fresh air is a great way to stay healthy too. But if the cold weather is not for you, then finding indoor tracks, go to the mall, or walk up and down your stairs!
- Dedicate times for fitness: Scheduling in times and days that you will be going to a fitness class or working out at the gym can help with you to actually make it there. When you are relying on yourself to just decide to go, other things usually get in the way. Plan a time and stick to it.
- Create a health plan: Creating a health plan for yourself or your family is a great way to get everyone on board with staying healthy. Creating meal plans for each week and planning out dinner time meals to avoid any unhealthy eating habits can help you stay on track.
- Partner up! Working out with a partner is always more fun than by yourself. If you have a family member, significant other, child or friend that is willing to dedicate time like you are to maintaining your health this winter, they are the right partner for you! Make sure that this partner that you have chosen is not going to start bailing on you because that will cause you to stop as well.
- Cut sitting time in half: In the winter, this is a hard thing to beat. Winter time feels like the best time to binge watch all seasons of your favorite shows. However, when you are sitting a good majority of the time, it takes away from the work that you have done throughout the rest of the week. Try cutting your sitting time in. For example, instead of sitting at work, try standing and walking around. Or if you are binge watching a show, turn it off and get everyone up and moving.
Even though the puffy coats and winter clothes are still a part of daily life, bathing suit season is right around the corner so taking these steps can help you feel more comfortable when it gets closer to the summer. Maintaining your fitness all year round helps the body from shocking itself into a winter coat and then shocking itself into a summer shed.